Baseball Begins

It is about that time of year. My absolute favorite time of the year.
No, not the BCS, not the Masters, not even the Holiday Season.
It is almost March, which means two things:
March Madness in basketball, and my all time favorite sport, baseball, gets into full swing.

Pardon the pun.


The crack, or ping, of the bat; the sound of the ball smacking the leather; the smell of the grass; that feeling you get in your lungs when you inhale that brown dust thrown into the air after a game deciding slide at home.
Man do I love baseball!

And I am lucky enough to be in a state that has so much good baseball to pick from. Clemson has had a strong team the past few years, as well as South Carolina. (I believe both recorded wins today. Clemson beat Mercer 12-5 and 6-5; South Carolina beat East Carolina 22-5 in game 1, but lost the second game 13-4). And this doesn't stop at the big boys level. Teams like Winthrop, The Citadel, USC Aiken, Coastal Carolina, and Erskine field very competitive teams year in and year out.

But I just don't love college baseball, but high school, American Legion, the minor leagues, the Majors; I eat it all up like a fat kid in a candy store.

It isn't just the game itself; even though in my opinion it is the ultimate live chess game. A true thinking man's game. It is the environment. The hotdogs, the smell of beer, the chatter and heckling by fans; what isn't to love.

You may say, "It costs a fortune to watch a game." Not true.
For a mere 5 buckaroos, you can go and watch the Anderson Joes, an independent SouthCoast League team here in Anderson, and with a little extra, take in a good meal. For the adults, Dollar Draft Night is Thursday.

And my personal favorite thing to do is sit down and watch the Braves and or the White Sox. Why the Sox, I saw my first major league game on the Southside and loved it. Why the Braves, I grew up watching them on the tube with my grandfather.

Not only is baseball a great game, but it can be so much more. It can mean a father and son (or daughter) bonding over a game of catch, discussing pitching strategy, or just simply sitting back and enjoying an afternoon at the ballpark. And really, isn't that what is really important.

Now if we can just get this steroid era behind us things will be smooth swinging from here on out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm SICK of Tim Tebow!

Gamecocks in historic year two under Paris

The Economy Falling is a Good Thing