The Little League World Series: How it lost my viewership

A staple in the summer months is baseball.
It is something to keep a football crazy South at bay between the "dry months" (from spring ball to fall camp).

Another staple in baseball happens in Williamsport, Pa., when the Little League World Series invades our televisions sets.

I actually have enjoyed watching this spectacle in the past. For some reason it brings joy to my heart to see young ballplayers play the game the right way in an era where the icons are more doped up with horse steroids than, well, horses.

But this year, I just haven't been able to get into it. I think it really all started a few years back when a team from New York won the series behind the super human arm of Danny Almonte.

It was later revealed the "super human" arm was really that of a 14-year old, not a 12-year old. I like to call it Scandle in the Baby Bronx.

Since then I started to mistrust any legitimate 12-year old that can hurl the ball 70 mph, and I have to question if they are actually 12.

And this year, I might have watched one game. Along with the mistrust, it just wasn't that entertaining. Foul line reporter Erin Andrews is no longer broadcasting, so there goes one major demographic that includes me.

Another thing is no more Harold Reynolds, who gave great insight into what was going on, and made it simple to understand. Now you have Orel Hershiser, who, let's face it, is about as entertaining as the watching the grass that is played on grow.

Also, I did enjoy watching the kids play ball the right way, but the screaming parents just made it unbearable. The fact that they are jeering and taunting kids makes my guts churn.

My advice is that they grow up, and let the kids play, and stop trying to live out their childhood fantasies through their kids.

Also, the LLWS is a monopoly. Why is it that 12-year old boys get all the TV time when there are 12-year old girls that play softball and get a fraction of the TV time? And what about the Big League World Series? Why not let future college players get some air time so fans could follow them through their time at school, and get to know the incoming players?

Really, the LLWS, to me, as made the "dry season" between spring ball and fall camp for football that much drier. And here in the South where we are in a record drought, I was hoping for something to beat the heat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm SICK of Tim Tebow!

Gamecocks in historic year two under Paris

The Economy Falling is a Good Thing