Veteran's Day Special


One thing I love to do in my spare down time over the summer is go fishing. Between working, catching up with people I haven’t seen, and sleeping, to me, there is just nothing more relaxing than kicking back in a chair (or in a John boat), casting out a line, and watching the day go by. I usually don’t catch many, if any, because truth be told, I’m a lousy fisherman. But the best part is I have a friend out there with me stinking it up to. And by stink, I mean he reels them in.

But for the past year, I haven’t touched a rod. You see since 2001, our country has been at war in both Afghanistan, and later in Iraq. For the majority of that time, the country has been split on if the war is just or not. But something has been lost in that debate, the solders fighting the war.

I’ve had teachers, adult friends, and friends of friends be sent off to war, most of which came back. But last year, my fishing buddy, who signed up for the Army right out of high school, was sent off to the Midwest, doing training to prepare for combat. Well, he is now over in Iraq, fighting for my freedom and yours.

I write about this because Tuesday (November 11) was Veteran’s Day. This, in my mind, is one of the most important American holidays in the calendar, right up there with Memorial Day and the Fourth of July. Without veterans, there would be no Memorial Day, because most memorials are in their memory, nor would their be a Fourth of July, since our country is founded on a war that was fought by soon to be veterans and patriots.

But for some odd reason, our veterans aren’t treated with the dignity and respect they earned. From the VA not being able to help them with wartime injury and recover, to the downright barbaric and deplorable conditions founded by The Washington Post at Walter Reed, dirt gets treated better than our Iraq War vets.

I believe the best thing we can do for our Iraq War vets is to get them home, give them what they need to get reacclimated to civilian life, and give them a hardy and heartfelt thank you.

It isn’t a question of if you are pro or anti war. It is completely and logically possible to be anti-War and pro-solder. Who really wants to put our solders in harms way? I’m grateful to have them, but I’d love nothing more than to never have to use them. But, since we have solders in dual warfronts, I believe we should support them in their endeavors, and pray for a quick homecoming.

One thing is for sure, I will not be casting my line out until my friend, and all his brothers and sisters in arms, are safely reeled back into this boat we call America.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm SICK of Tim Tebow!

Gamecocks in historic year two under Paris

The Economy Falling is a Good Thing