Should the Pac-10 Expand?

Back around November of last year, I wrote a post about the Big-10, and how they could become relevant again.

I basically said that they should go through expansion, and add another team, which I believe should be Notre Dame, both geographically and historically.

Well, I was posed a question a few weeks ago: 'You said the Big 10 should expand, what about the Pac-10?'

At first, the question kind of through me. Why would the Pac-10 need to expand for football, they already have Southern Cal? Then I got to thinking harder.

A few years ago, Oregon, who with Joey Harrington was ranked #2, was held out of the National title game due to a "weak schedule." The same was done to SC a few years later, as they were ranked #1.

And I thought harder, and the Pac-10 and Big-10 are similiar. Forget the fact that the people running the Pac-10 can actually count to 10, unlike the Big 10 (11), and the Pac-10 is much more exciting to watch (it isn't known for its defense).

But both conferences are top heavy (the Big 10 has Michigan and Ohio State, with Wisconsin coming up every now and then) with the Pac-10 being carried on the coattails of SC with usually Oregon or Oregon State popping up.

And with that top heaviness, comes an infant weak bottom, the current Pac-10 being brougth down by the entire state of Washington, whose both major Universities tallied two wins total between them last year.

So, after doing some thinking, and I have to say that yes, the Pac-10, like the Big 10 (11), should expand and become the Pac-12.

The only question is, what two teams could they get?

The answer lyes in the smaller conferences, namely the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) and Mountain West (MWC).

In the MWC there are a few teams one can already eliminate based on geographic reasons, as well as the fact that some of them just aren't very good, namely San Diego State, Wyoming, New Mexico, UNLV, TCU, and Colorado State.

In the WAC, using that same logic, a few teams could also be eliminated, namely Idaho, San Jose State, New Mexico State, Utah State, Nevada, and Louisianat Tech.

So, out of the MWC, that leaves BYU, Utah, and Air Force, while out of the WAC it leaves Boise State, Hawaii, and Fresno State.

Even though Hawaii would be a fun team to watch in the Pac-10, they really would fall into the line of great offense, no defense, and I really think the conference needs to try to get away from that stereotype, so the Warriors are out. I also feel that Fresno State wouldn't want to leave their conference, just because I think they enjoy where they are in the scheme of things.

So that leaves BYU, Utah, Air Force and Boise State. Utah I think would be a lock, since they have been the team to beat in the MWC posting no less than 8 wins a season, and coming off a Sugar Bowl beatdown where they sped past SEC power Alabama. I believe the Utes would fit in very well in the Pac-10. I don't think they'd unseat SC, but they would be in the thick of things.

So, that makes it the Pac-11, one more team to go.

I don't think it would be in Air Forces' best interest to leave. They are a millitary first school, and really aren't in the business of putting up huge numbers. Plus, I don't think their teams could hold up in a 12 games season in the Pac-10, no matter how light the defenses are, I just don't think they would have the firepower needed.

It would be great if the Pac-10, now with Utah, could pull in BYU. That not only would give them a presitigous program, but a rivalry to add to the conference.

I do feel that the Pac-10's best chance at a 12th school would be Boise State. It is a pretty well known program now with their big Fiesta Bowl miracle win over Oklahoma a few seasons back. Not to mention, it sets up well geographically.

Still, for the sake of argument and the fact that I love rivalries, I'll say that the Pac-10 lures Utah and BYU.

Now, how to set up the 12 teams?

I'd say keep it simple, and do divisions by geography. Call it North and South.

In the North, you could have Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, BYU, and Utah. In the South, you would have Southern Cal, Cal, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, and Stanford.

Heck, if the Pac-10 wanted to get cute, and judging from the overal unifrom selections they probably would, they could call the divisions the North Pacific and the South Pacific.

With the teams organized, the winners of the divisions would need a place to meet, and I say their should be no set place. If the game is anywhere in California, specifically LA, then the North teams would call fowl on bias.

So I say move the championship game around by using the bevy of pro-stadiums they have. One year the game could be in Oakland, the next in Arizona, the next in Seatle.

The same could work in basketball as well with all the pro-arenas in the region.

Clearly, the Pac-10, while more relevant than the Big 10 (11), could go for expansion. I think it would better the conference, improve the competition, as well as bring a championship game that would make their case for the National Title, just as the Big 12 and SEC's have.

Comments

  1. I agree that Utah and BYU are the best fit in my opinion. Schools have more championships, are research schools, BYU has a national following that would push more exposure in the east. both have big stadiums and can fill seats. adds a top thirty marketing (and one of the fastest growing btw (i figure it will be a top 25 market in 5 years).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't aware of the facts on the areas.
    I knew BYU was a good school, but I had no idea about Utah.

    I always liked to think of BYU as the Notre Dame of the Rockies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm SICK of Tim Tebow!

Gamecocks in historic year two under Paris

The Economy Falling is a Good Thing