The Death of Usama bin Ladin, and the perception of America

Mark it down as a date in American history.

On May 1, 2011 President Barack Obama announced to the world that a team of Navy Seals went into Pakistan and killed FBI Most Wanted Usama bin Ladin. This was later proven by reported facial recognitions, multiple DNA tests and eye witnesses.

Many media outlets, American mostly, declared this a triumphant day for America and its "War on Terror."

Indeed, they are right. For 10 years, the American government has been looking for bin Ladin, and when the intelligence came in that he was open for an attack, President Obama took the risk and sent in the Seals.

But here is where my patriotism turned to cynicism.
"The world is a safer place now that bin Ladin is dead"

In the long run, I'm not so sure, but I'm leaning to yes. More people will rise to take his place.
They probably won't be as "influential" as bin Ladin.

But in the short term, I disagree. Here is my example: When police take in leaders of street gangs, or when that leader is killed, the gang doesn't get weaker. It typically runs wild with member jockeying for power.

That is what I see happening in the coming months. Attack attempts will probably step up in American and Pakistan.

But number two, and I know this won't be popular to say, but the reactions of Americans on television.

What was seen by the country was a jubilant display of pent up joy.

But what did the world see? Did they see the same?

Or did they see what Americans saw 10 years ago when pockets in the Middle East celebrated 9/11?

In the barest of forms, Americans celebrated the death of a human being.

And I get it: bin Ladin took from us our security, or family members and our friends, and it is natural to want revenge. And I'll be the first to admit, I was happy to hear he had been killed by our solders hands.

But I was also glad to hear we were respectful enough of the teachings of Islam, and buried his body 24 hours after death.

But back to the dancing and almost frat like atmosphere. To me, we are better than that. We acted just like the radicals did on 9/11: As they danced in the streets while we watched the towers crumble, we danced in the streets to the news of a man dying.

And the media coverage, well that is another post.

But Fox News almost couldn't help but show their giddiness, yet time and time again, their talking heads call for us to be a Christian nation.

And let me be clear: There was no one happier than me that bin Ladin had been killed; That was for the Towers, the Pentagon, Flight 93 and the thousands of solders who have given their lives in wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But we are better than the display that was shown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm SICK of Tim Tebow!

Gamecocks in historic year two under Paris

The Economy Falling is a Good Thing