Star Trek Into Darkness review

I'll preface this review by saying there are spoilers in this review!!!

I typically don't put spoilers in my reviews, but for this particular film, I almost have to to review it.

For those that don't want anything spoiled, I'll go ahead and say this is a this is very much worth the price of admission. I went to see it in IMAX, and it was well worth it.

Now, to get into the film. From this point on, there will be spoilers. You have been warned. 

I like this movie, but I'm not in love with it.

For those wondering, this is the sequel to J.J. Abrams reboot of the famed sci-fi series.

This film is essentially a retelling/prequel to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

For anyone who can't figure this out, John Morrison, played by Benedict Cumberbatch, is Khan

That is key to know points of the film I liked and disliked.

What I liked about it was one, they made Khan just terrifying, but you also sympathize with him to an extent.

I also enjoy a portion where he and Kirk, played by Chris Pine, actually team up to face a twist villian (who I will not give away). This, along with the action, visuals and score, love about the movie.

I just wish they did more with that relationship between Kirk and Khan, and then maybe go into what they do in the final third of the film in Star Trek III.

Now, my complaints. I'm not even sure I can call them that though, but maybe problems.

First, the over use of references...well, one in particular.

I can forgive all the one-liners and references used in the film to fill dialogue, but there is one reference that absolutely kills what could've been the emotional scene of the summer.

HUGE SPOILER!

In the original, Spock takes it upon himself to fix the Enterprise, but dies from raditiation poisoning while Kirk can do nothing more than look on from glass as his friend dies.

In this iteriation, it is flipped on its head and instead it is Kirk who dies. Spock is broken down, and his human half takes over, as emotion pours out of him (great job by Zachary Quinto)...but the emotion of the scene is dashed in a one-syllable scream of "KHAN!"

Not that big a deal, except it was crowbarred in from the original Star Trek II after Kirk is marooned on a barren planet by Khan.

Also, Kirk's death is never really a death, since it is laid out plain as day there is a way to bring him back, so that entire scene is wasted, and really killed the movie for me.

Outside of that there are the typical plotholes that follow a summer blockbuster, which is okay.

I'm not saying this is a bad movie. As I said, I liked it. It just felt like J.J. Abrams and his crew got a little lazy with this film, as opposed to what they did in the first Star Trek.

Before the blown scene, I was ready to say best movie of the summer. But now, I have to hold that honor until the actual end of the summer.

Still, the movie was very fun. Great action, love the camraderie of the crew, and the villians are fantastic. 

Go see it in IMAX, and enjoy.           





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm SICK of Tim Tebow!

Gamecocks in historic year two under Paris

The Economy Falling is a Good Thing