A Christmas Perspective

Just got done with my holiday shopping for the season. While out, I was compelled to write another piece. Seeing the hectic nature, unnecessary stress, and overall unseasonal nature, I thought of this.
..........................................................................................................................................................................
"It's the most wonderful time on the year," says the famous Christmas carol tune.
We are in the home stretch of the holiday season, and this should be the happiest time of the year. You wouldn't know it if you take a step outside.

I always wonder, what happened to the true meaning of the season. No, I'm not just talking about the religous relevance of Christmas, Chanukah (to all my Jewish friends, I'm sorry if I mispelled it. Call me out if I did), and Kwanzah (to my Afro American brethren, call me out on the mispell to if I did it). All of those are special, don't get me wrong, but they aren't the only special things about the holiday season. To me, it is more about being around the ones I love and spreading happiness to those that may not have that fortune, as well as everyone else.

But why do we wait for the last two months of a year to be decent to one another?
Ten months out of the year we act just short of animals to each other, and 2 months we get all grab ass and pretend to be good natured. Don't get me wrong, there are people out there that are nice 24/7/365, and to yall, keep on trucking with it; not insinuating that I am one of those all the time people, because I'm not.

It just seems to me that the Holiday Season is losing its luster of a good will and cheer time, to a time of insane parents trying to get Little Johnny and Little Susy the next big thing on the toy aisle. This season has gotten so commercialized it is doing more harm than good. It used to be (from what I've been told from grandparents) that this was the time when the "haves" and the "have nots" were equally happy, and equal human beings.

Want a true life tale of the season? A young child friend of mine, we'll call him "Daniel", has a father that has left him, his mother is trying on her own to raise him, and just to add a cherry on the top of this soured cake, he was born with an internal genetic disorder that affects his lungs and digestive system. He isn't asking for much, just for his mom to be happy and for them to have a better life. Funny how a 10 year old gets it when some grown adults don't.

This is the true meaning of the holiday season. We should be asking what we can do for each other, and maybe we can finally bring this season back to what it is suppose to be: a time of happiness and joy, without the stress, regardless of if you are religous or not.

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Happy Kwanzah, and Happy Holidays.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm SICK of Tim Tebow!

Gamecocks in historic year two under Paris

The Economy Falling is a Good Thing