Back from the Island (A Retrospective Look at my time in Jamaica)


Ye Mon! How it going?

Sorry, just had to get the last little bit of Jamaican flavor out of my system. Recently, I, along with the family, took a little vacation to the island of Jamaica. We had no prior knowledge, and no known expectations of what we would be in store for, outside of the sand and saltwater.

Our first day on the island after a 2 hour flight was a long one. After landing in Montego Bay, we hopped on a bus to our resort in Negril that was about 2 and a half hours away. Although we knew the resort would be nice, the outlying areas were a different story.

Cramped cities, trash on the sides of the road, livestock everywhere, and half built houses dotted the lush, vegetative country side, creating almost a dual universe that was trying to become a singular entity-One being a paradise of fruitful trees, green grass, and the white foam of the sea lapping the equally white sand; the other that of a country still trying to find its way into the industrialized world.

After getting to the resort, we realized that we weren't in America anymore. Most of the vacationers were foreign, and they let you know it with languages of french, spanish, portugese, and german all mixing together in a melting pot of giberish as it entered my ears, and just as quickly went out the other side, undecifered.

Along with the languages was the culture. Apparently in Europe and South America, it is custom for women of all ages, shapes, and sizes to go toppless. I must say, I was a little taken back and overwhelmed the first day or two, after which though, I really didn't even notice the mass of breasts that was or wasn't around me.

But outside of the culture I must say I got to experience new things in my time in Jamaica. I got to snorkle for the first time in my life in the Carribean. I also operated a kayak and a catameran. I must also add that this marked the first time I have ever seen water so clear and mixed with shades of blue. Truthful, you could see the ocean floor regardless if you were 12 feet or 12 inches away from the bottom.

Also, I got to experience real Jamaican cuisine, mostly jerk chicken and jerk pork.

Also, the locals couldn't have been nicer, and they really left me with a since of pride in them. If you could see the country side, it appears that they have almost nothing, but they work hard at their jobs, be it grounds keeping, entertainment, or food services (By the way, all the restaurants were on 5 star class with wine, salad bar, fresh grown fruits, along with desserts to go with a very nice selection of entrees.)

Overall, my trip to Jamaica was a good one. I got to relax, soak in the sun, take a dip in the clean refreshing waters of the Carribean, see some of the sealife close up. I will caution any those going with families that this certain resort may not be for you.

To go with the toplessness, there is a good deal of smoking and drinking (the bar was free), and most of the local sellers will sell you their goods, along with gangi-which I did not buy.

I suggest that everyone travel abroad at least once. If anything, it will give you an appreciation of just how lucky one is to live in America, and be able to have the luxuries and rights that we take for granted.

Hopefully I will have another entry up in about a week or so of pictures of my trip.

In the meantime, take into account what my busdriver Omar told when on arrival. "Relax mon, you in Jamaica now. No worries. Just let our your troubles go and relax."

We may not be in Jamaica, but I beleive it would do all of us some good to just "Relax mon."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm SICK of Tim Tebow!

Gamecocks in historic year two under Paris

The Economy Falling is a Good Thing