NBA Playoffs 2009

The NBA season is nearing a close, and now it is almost time for the irrelevant playoffs.

Okay, so this year they actually look like good games in the first round.
The West has been settled, and the East just wrapped up as well.

They are so many good players now to watch: Kobe Bryant, The Big 3 in Boston, LeBron James, Chris Paul, Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard, Chauncy Billups.

This years playoffs actually look as if they could be competitive in every round.

I have my prediction of who will be in the Finals, and then I'll have another post with who I think wins the Finals.

I'll start off my saying that I think the Thunder and Bulls take the 8 and 7 spots respectively in the East, and that the Magic beat out the Celtics for the 2nd spot. And yes, it is because Garnett is out till the playoffs.

Now, for the first round in the West:
1 Lakers vs 8 Jazz
-I see this series going 7 games. Lakers have home court, but I think when LA has to go to Utah for 3 games, they will get their fill of the Jazz. Still, LA has steamrolled their competition this year, and will make quick work of the Jazz at home. Give me the Lakers.

2 Nuggests vs 7 Mavericks
-I think Denver holds onto the #2 spot, and will play Dallas. I can see this series going 7 games. An interesting match-up will be the point guards, as Jason Kidd takes on Chauncey Billups. The key to this series though, will be Dirk Nowiski. If he is physical and puts up his points, the Mavs have a good shot to upset, but if he gets beat up by Kenyon Martin, it will be a long series for Dallas. Plus, I don't think the Mavs have an answer for Carmello Anthony. Give me Nuggest in 6.

3 Spurs vs 6 Hornets
-San Antonio is in trouble. Manu Ginobli is out, and they have an aging roster with Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, and Michael Finley. The Hornets though, are much younger, and have the best point guard in the league in Chris Paul. Add in youth like Tyson Chandler and David West, and this should be an "upset" series. Look for the Hornets to take it in 5.

4 Rockets vs 5 Blazers
-The Rockets have been an up-and-down team. They have strong players in guys like Shane Battier and Ron Artest. The Blazers are one of the young and up-and coming teams in the league, led by Brandon Roy, Rudy Fernandez, and LaMarcus Aldridge. The key for Houston is Yao Ming. If he is dominant, the Blazers don't have a guy to hold him, but Yao is very inconsistent. Give me the Blazers in the upset, in 6 games.

In the East we have:
1 Cavaliers vs 8 Pistons
-On paper, it looks like the Cavs should roll no problem. They have better overall shooters, are rougher, and they have LeBron James. For the Pistons to win, they need Rip Hamilton to come up big, and Rasheed Wallace to stay out of tech. foul trouble. Also, they need Allen Iverson. Give me Cleveland in 4 for the sweep.

2 Celtics vs 7 Bulls
-Boston has had a slip this year. The defending champs haven't looked as unbeatable this year, mostly due to Kevin Garnett being hurt. But he should be well rested for the playoffs. The Bulls are still another year or two away from really being competitive, but this will help them grow. Also, the Celtics have some nice support coming from Mike Moore and :gasp: Stephon Marbury I see coming. Give me Boston in 5.

3 Magic vs 6 76ers
-The Magic are another one of those young teams that are still rising. The 76ers have a young team, but don't have that headline guy to lead them. They have nice supporters in Andre Miller, Willie Green, and Andre Igudola. But they have no one that can hang with the Magic's Dwight Howard, and that is the difference. Give my Orlando in 5.

4 Hawks vs 5 Heat
-Probably the best matchup in the East 1st Round. Both teams are average at best, but the Hawks soared onto the scene with a 7 game series with the Celtics last year. They are one of those young teams, as is the Heat, they are still learning. The Hawks have some good players, but they don't have a guy that can play with Dwayne Wade. Give me Heat in the upset, in 7 games.

So for the 2nd Round, we have:
Cavaliers vs Celtics & Heat vs Magic (East)
Lakers vs Hornets & Blazers vs Nuggests (West)

I think the Cavs will beat the Celtics this year. It will go 7 games, and will be a monster series. But LeBron James is just too good, and is the best player on the floor in that series. He almost beat the Celtics last year (he was a shot away) and this year, he sinks that shot. Give me Cavs in 7.
And the Magic will beat the Heat. Wade can only carry that team so far, and he needs help, but he won't get it. Dwight Howard will be too much in the low post, and the Magic blow by the heat in 5.


In the West, the Lakers and Hornets will have hype, but will be over quick. Derek Fisher will control CP3, and there is no one on the floor that will control Kobe. Lamar Odom will be a key in this series, as he and David West will be key. Plus, the Lakers have Andrew Bynam and Pau Gasol down low. 2 low post guys beat in in Chandler. Give me Lakers in 5.

Blazers and Nuggets, I feel a stunner coming. The young Blazers, I predict, will beat the Nuggets in 7. They will do just enough to control Anthony, and their young guards will run circles around Billups.

So for conference Finals, we have the Cavs vs the Magic, and the Lakers vs Blazers.

Here, I see the Cavs steamrolling the Magic. Orlando is a year away from being ready for this stage and level, while LeBron and the Cavs are prepared. Give me Cleveland in 6.

In the West, the Blazers run out of magic, and will get swept by the far superior Lakers.

So, I have LA vs Cleveland in the finals.
Let's see how I do in the playoffs, then I'll predict the Finals when we get close to that time.

Until then, take care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm SICK of Tim Tebow!

Gamecocks in historic year two under Paris

The Economy Falling is a Good Thing